Saturday, April 1, 2017

Think of me fondly

I saw Phantom of the Opera live on Broadway for the first time on my 40th birthday, March 29, 2017. This officially kicked off The 41st Year odyssey.

The show was everything I expected it to be and our seats were on the third row which was just perfectly close enough to believe they were performing just for us.

When Christine sang Think of Me, I was transported to my high school bedroom when I'd worn the CD out bellowing along with her. Masquerade was a bigger spectacle than I ever imagined when listening. And All I Ask of You decimated any wedding that ever had the audacity to use it.

Phantom is one of those New York City institutions, an iconic event that happens eight times a week. Yet every show is for an audience that has probably never seen it. So the actors have to keep it fresh every performance. And they did.

Making the experience even better was seeing it with my sister, Kristen, whom I tortured for years through the wall that separated our bedrooms. Going to the show was her idea, the whole NYC trip was her idea, and she spoiled me.

One of the list items is 40 live events. I'm down to 39 now. Thanks, Kris.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Not Curious Enough to Finish the March Selection

When I chose non-fiction for March, I knew it would take a little longer than the fiction months had taken. I read about five non-fiction bo...