Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Happy Birthday, Life on Clemson Road



A year ago today I put up my first blog post. It was called, accurately, “The Rookie’s First Post.”

Since then Life on Clemson Road has taken a number of turns. Some good, some bad.

The theme for 2012 had been land the plane, but instead of buckling down and tying up loose ends, I ripped life out at the seams and sewed it up in another place.  

Like everything I ever experience, I have learned from this journey. Here are some of the lessons from this year we spent beyond the rainbow:

I don’t need everyone in the universe to read my blog. I love those of you who do!

I have to write. No one will do it for me.

I have something of value to say.

I cannot make other people want the life I want.

I cannot expect anyone else to work as hard as I will to be better than I am.

I have to go easy on myself sometimes. And take myself less seriously.

Life does not bring one challenge at a time. They arrive in batches.


Interviews, resumes, and online research are all two-dimensional representations of me. They mean nothing. It’s what I can do that matters and no one has figured out how to predict that yet.

It takes a lot of courage to live the life I want. But that’s no reason to back down from trying.

People will doubt and they aren’t all jealous or scared, some of them are experienced and don’t think I have what it takes.

Some people are just idiots.

It’s been a great year. Here’s to another great year of Life on Clemson Road (raises wine glass), may the road always rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back and the odds always in your favor.

As promised, here are my favorite posts:


Would the real PGA please stand up?


What the heck is a liktrish?

There’s a downside to achievement?

You’ve had how many husbands?


Which post is your favorite? What do you like to read: goal setting stuff, HB stories, or social commentary?

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Kasie! I enjoy everything post you write, so it's hard to pick a favorite. I did especially enjoy the Pulitzer Prize post, though. Here's to many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on 1 year! it never sounds like much, but as the voice of experience, i know it's huge! love the lessons you've learned. and yeah, some people are idiots and life definitely hands you challenges in batches. best of luck on many years to come! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by, Bolton. The support from WS Studio is one of the main reasons I'm still around!

      Delete
  3. WOW! It's hard to believe a year has gone by! I continue to be so very proud of you and all you have accomplished as well as to continue to cheer you on for all you are destined to accomplish! I'm not sure I could pick one favorite because each one of your posts have moved me in so many different ways. You are a very talented writer and destined for great things! I love the enthusiasm with which you meet every challenge and always believing in the glass being half-full. After all, you taught me "there's a pony in there somewhere!" I love you, my smart and beautiful daughter! Momma will always be your loudest cheerleader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mom. Sharing my stories has been a life-long dream. I'm so blessed to have such an enthusiastic supported in my mom!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on a GREAT year! I am so glad that you decided to do this and share your talent with the world. Good for you and THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. Your support and friendship (and that of our other WS Studio crazies) have been one of the best results of pursuing this writerly life.

      Delete
  5. Congrats Kasie on your blog anniversary! I love your takeaways, because they're so true. I like reading all your posts so I can't pick one... but I think I lean toward your social commentary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sopphey. I like the social commentary ones, too. I really liked the guest post I did for Gerry on when it isn't appropriate to mourn on Facebook.

      Delete
  6. Happy anniversary, Kasie. I enjoyed reading what you learned from blogging. So true. It 's been an amazing year for you. May there be many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thanks for stopping by! There's more to come. One thing about writers: we're a pretty noisy bunch!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your first year! Now, you're no longer a rookie :) What are you going to call yourself? Expert? Seasoned veteran?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about "sophomore"? Thanks, Jennifer. Always glad to see you on Clemson Road.

      Delete
  8. Loved it! What a wonderful 1st year! Happy Anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary, Kasie! You did some heavy learnin' this year. I am in awe that you could enumerate all those nuggets of wisdom. Since I enjoy all your posts, it is difficult to select just one favorite, but if I must it would be the HB As Hoarder. I can relate to that, and it also reminds me of my grandchildren! Here's hoping you will have an even more successful year in 2013!
    - Biv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Biv! I'm so grateful to my friends and family for their support through this year. No one handles change on their own, we all need coaches and cheerleaders and trainers and teammates!

      Delete

Not Curious Enough to Finish the March Selection

When I chose non-fiction for March, I knew it would take a little longer than the fiction months had taken. I read about five non-fiction bo...