Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Thank You Notes to My Constellation



Taking a cue from Jimmy Fallon, I’d like for this week’s post, just a few days after commencement, to be my Thank You Notes.

Thank You
Charlie, for putting up with the days I was reading and the days I was writing and all the boring conversations I made you listen to that involved my dissertation. But mostly thank you for believing in me and for being the person I high-fived when I heard those all-too-important words in August.

Thank You
Hollie Russ, for slowing down the dissertation process and forcing me to live in the moment – which is where Nana always said I should try harder to be. I know this journey started before you got here, but I hope you’ll carry with you forever the memories of its conclusion.


Thank You
Mom, for being there when I decided to start this crazy thing, for helping me find time to finish important tasks, and for always cheering me on. I went to Nashville for you and you came there for me and our picture together is one I’ll treasure forever.

Thank You
Capella University and my team of advisers and mentors for putting this within reach. Online classes, independent study, colloquium, and conference-call-email interaction not only mirror the way business is conducted in our modern world, but that structure enabled me to continue to work and care for my family while pursuing and achieving a lifetime goal.

Thank You
Friends and Colleagues, some of whom have only known me since I’ve been “working on my PhD.” Thanks for sounding impressed, offering encouragement, suggesting alternatives (like happy hour) and applauding my accomplishment. You helped make the theoretical real in so many situations. One of you even told me she recognized another PhD because he “talked like Kasie.”

Thank You
Kristen, my kid sister, who makes me want to be the smartest person in the room. And Josh and Tami and Kevin E. who always told me I was.Greg and Lou, my classmates at Capella who finished before me but never failed to cheer me on. Fins Up, gentlemen!

Thank You
Dad, for showing me what it means to have a business life and how that life can translate into being good and doing good. Cheri, who watched the 8-week-old Hollie Russ so I could write my comprehensive exams and who said it’s nice for me to have dreams. Caroline, who said she’s proud of me for going for them. Nana and Papa who told me to remember the responsibilities I have to those whose dreams depend on me.

Thank You
To my lunch dates: Jodie, who thinks I have talent. Shawn, who thinks I can do anything. Cindy, who said it’s okay if I don’t do everything. Kacie, who wants to help me try. And Nathan, who told me not to be the one who didn’t even try. My Wordsmith Studio friends who lift me up so high I cannot see the ground. You're all my favorites.

Thank You
All of you, for being the constellation of my life, the stars which lend their light to me and help me shine. Who round out my warrior shape and point others in my direction. 

No achievement is ever earned alone. This was a big win. But the best part is, I'm just getting started. Cheers!



1 comment:

  1. I would not have missed any part of your journey to this latest accomplishment for the world! You have shown all of us how to reach for the stars and still keep everything in perspective. I am so very proud of you! You are a remarkable wife, mommy, daughter, and business woman. Your devotion to your family is reflected in all you do for each of us. Your devotion to your work is shown in your receiving your PhD. Keep on following your dreams and reaching for the stars because I will always be cheering you on and saying to you, "Yes, you can and yes, you will!" I love you, my darling daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Not Curious Enough to Finish the March Selection

When I chose non-fiction for March, I knew it would take a little longer than the fiction months had taken. I read about five non-fiction bo...