Saturday, January 2, 2021

Off the Shelf: A 2021 Reading Challenge

 


I’m a Kindle junky. For the past few years I’ve read 100+ books, all digital, mostly romance. Meanwhile, my library shelves have remained static.

 

I’ve borrowed library books. Selected them, requested them, picked them up, and left them on the table while I digitally binged.

 

On Christmas Day, Hollie received from Santa a paperback copy of V.C. Andrews’ Heaven. I promptly read it cover to cover. Then bought the second book, Dark Angel, and read it, too. They were the books that made me want to become an author when I was 12.

 

Having rekindled my love for paper texts (pun intended), I’ve decided to do something about the bookshelves.

 

I am resolved to read 12 books already in my possession. Each one, when finished, will be discussed here. It’s my way of committing to 1) reading real books, 2) blogging here more regularly, and 3) writing reviews as a way of sharpening my literary analysis skills.

 

Once upon a time, I earned a master’s degree in English with the careful study and analysis of literary texts. And lately I’ve been reading books like eating candy. Full consumption. Sugary and empty.

 

The master’s degree was not wasted. I write much better than many people I know and I’ve skills in recognizing storytelling devices and literary achievement. But I have neglected study and wish to see if a more dedicated effort will benefit me in unexpected ways.


Here are the titles I have selected:

The Sympathizer

Pachinko

One Last Thing Before I Go

Lush Life

Songs of Willow Frost

Artemis

The Philosopher’s Flight

Red Clocks

They Stole Him Out of Jail

Reckless

Together

A Curious Mind

 

Literary fiction, commercial fiction, science fiction, magical realism, historical nonfiction, memoir, and … what would we call A Curious Mind? Just regular nonfiction I guess.


So, here’s the 2021 Off the Shelf Challenge:

1. Select 12 books from your own bookcase (all word nerds have at least 12 unread books)

2. Commit to the titles with a comment below

3. Come back each month to see what I thought of mine and

4. Share your thoughts on the book you’ve finished in the comments.

 

Pretty simple, right?

 

I’ve challenged my family to read 12 books this year as well. Theirs can be brand new, library-loans, or something off the shelf. The rules for them are a bit more lenient. They won’t even have to write about the selections they finish.

 

I’d love to have one screen-free night per week, but I won’t hold my breath.

 

Life on Clemson Road goes on as it ever has. Thanks for following along on the journey. I promise to be more faithful to it in 2021.




4 comments:

  1. Hi Kasie!
    I am so pleased to know you are still blogging! I couldn't keep up with mine and now my health is worse and I don't know if I could keep it up now. Maybe it will be a goal for 2022 to do a more simple blog and do it less frequently.
    Regarding your 2021 Reading Challenge, I am intrigued especially since I just bought 3 books from Thriftbooks and I have to choose another book because my Aunt bought me a book I already have and I haven't even read the book I already own. Do we have to choose our 12 books all at once now or can we pick our books as we go? I have way more than 12 bks that I have wanted to read that are on my shelves, so that is not the issue. Rather, sometimes I change my mind about what I want to read. Maybe I could give you my list in another comment on this post, and if I change my mind about a bk or 2, I could change my list along the way? Let me know and I will create my book list. I also will respond to the questions you have listed.

    I hope 2021 will be a more blessed year for you and for all the people all over the world. This Challenge will connect me back with the group and meet new people. This is lovely to reconnect with you Kasie as well. I look forward to your response.
    Monique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Monique! So great to hear from you! I'd say choose your books whenever you want. I chose all 12 but not the specific order of them, so there's some wiggle room. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Kasie for letting me know how to pick our books. I may pick my first 6 bks now. I also am trying to get my neighbor to join in.
    Take care and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first book I am reading is Jodi Picoult's "The Storyteller." I have some other books in a pile that probably will go on my list, but I want to think about it a little bit more. What book are you reading first? As soon as I have a better idea of my list, I will let you know. My neighbor said she most likely will do the Challenge also. I will give you the name of her first book soon.

    ReplyDelete

Not Curious Enough to Finish the March Selection

When I chose non-fiction for March, I knew it would take a little longer than the fiction months had taken. I read about five non-fiction bo...